What is an AED?
An automated external defibrillator (AED) is an emergency life-saving device for use in the event of sudden cardiac arrest. It is a portable device that analyses the heart rhythm and administers an electrical charge to the heart if needed (to establish a regular heartbeat in the event of a cardiac arrest).
Only within the first few minutes following cardiac arrest will a victim be in a ‘shockable rhythm’; rapid defibrillation is therefore vital. Placing AEDs in the community can dramatically reduce the time from collapse to defibrillation and can greatly improve survival rates.
Easy to use
When switched on the AED will instruct the user to connect the pads to a patient’s bare chest. The pads enable the AED to examine the patient’s heart and determine if the patient is in a viable, shockable rhythm. If the device determines that a shock is required, it will charge in preparation to deliver a shock. The AED is very safe as it will only charge if it determines a shockable rhythm is present.
AED’s in Wantage
There are a number of AED’s located in Wantage including:
- The Beacon (Mounted on wall outside)
- Wantage Fire Station (Mounted on wall outside)
- Phone box off the Post office Vaults end of the Market Place
- Wantage Memorial Park Toilet Block (Mounted on wall outside)
- Wantage Library (located outside the Police office/ Library)
- Wantage Leisure Centre (available in reception during opening hours)
- King Alfreds School Centre site (available in reception during opening hours)
- King Alfreds School West site (available in reception during opening hours)
- The Bear Hotel (available in reception during opening hours)
- Rockwell House Day Nursery (in reception during opening hours)
- Wantage Silver Band (Tugwell Field on side of building)
- Wantage Support Services (Charlton village road on wall by main entrance)
- Stockham Primary School (wall mounted outside the school)
- Fitzwaryn School (right side of reception outside main door)
South Central Ambulance Service (SCAS) have developed an app for iOs and Android devices and can be downloaded from these links.