Safer Public Spaces
In order to facilitate better social distanced areas within the Market Place and to encourage a safer environment for visiting businesses in the town, Wantage Town Council, following the Government’s Guidance for COVID-19: Safer Public Spaces – Urban Centres and Green Spaces, introduced the pedestrianisation of the Western End of the Market Place on Saturday 4th July as an emergency measure. This is now a temporary implementation for 18 months during COVID-19.
Survey (Please complete the Survey)
A consultation survey, which can be accessed here, is being undertaken about the closure of the Western End and also asking opinion about further temporary pedestrianisation. Your input on the survey will assist the Town Council on whether we seek to implement the full plan or just stay with the Western End for now. The survey will run until midnight 31 October 2020.
Wantage Town Council has created a plan to improve on social distanced areas within the Market Place as a whole, make the area safer for the public to visit and to engage with local businesses. The plan, which is much more complex than just closing the Western End, involves bus services, highways, disabled parking, parking and taxi availability. The plan was submitted to Oxfordshire County Council asking for comment and guidance. Having received comment from OCC we have made the plan public.
Outline of Plan
- South side of Market Place closed to unauthorised traffic.
- Two-way traffic on North side of Market Place with 20 mph speed limit.
- Buses and Taxis to be accommodated in Eastern end of Market Place.
- Pedestrian area to be extended to cover the highway on Southern side of Market Place from Western end to crossing by Statue and up towards the Bell Public House.
- Car park to West of statue to remain open but 3 parking spaces designated for the disabled leaving 11 (30 minute) parking spaces for general public.
- No Access to and from Market Place to Newbury Street.
- Newbury Street from Market Place to Post Office Lane pedestrianised (2 disabled parking spaces).